Re: igrep on remote files with tramp? (~Solved)

From: Daniel Berdine
Subject: Re: igrep on remote files with tramp? (~Solved)
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 01:01:07 -0400

In case it helps anyone else, I've found an acceptable solution to this
problem through color-moccur.el
(http://www.bookshelf.jp/elc/color-moccur.el).

For cases where there are likely to be several searches, it seems the fastest
method is to first load all the files one wishes to search (C-u
dired-do-find-marked-files in my case) and then run moccur. For a one-off
search, or for local searches where read-times aren't so prohibitive,
dired-do-moccur works nicely.

Other than the necessity of loading all the files, this actually seems
preferable to an igrep solution, and short of running the search remotely,
some such delay or memory hit is inevitable.

Thanks for the input, and hopefully this is useful for someone else.

-Dan