Re: copy/paste to/from emacs

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: copy/paste to/from emacs
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 20:49:08 +0000 (UTC)

In article <3kaajgFtbtcvU1@individual.net>,
Marc Tfardy  <m-t-o___CUT_IT___@web.de> wrote:
>Baloff wrote:
>> Hello
>> ok, the title says it all, I cann't copy from emacs and paste into say
>> Mozilla or any other program and this is true from other programs to
>> emacs as well. what is the fix?
>
>What OS? win? linux?
>I suppose, you use M-w to copy and C-y to paste in Emacs.
>Under linux it is sufficient for copy to mark the text with mouse.
>
>Marc

Not how it works in Solaris' "CDE":

To take something from an emacs buffer to another CDE "window"
(a "real" window, not what emacs calls "window"), do:

.  regionize the stuff.

.  do NOT do C-w; rather, press the "copy" button on the
   keyboard (well, mine is a Sun keyboard, with two columns
   of special keys, eg go-to-next-window ("front"), copy,
   paste, etc, these 2 columns being on the left edge
   of the keyboard (10 keys in all).

.  Switch windows into the window the other app is
   running in and wants-input, and hit the "paste" key.

Reverse direction, eg from something being shown in a dtterm
  and putting it into an emacs buffer, at point:

. Mouse-blacken that area in the, say, dtterm.

. Hit Copy-button.

. Flip into the window emacs owns.

. *Usually*, C-y works.  If not, hit the paste-button.

What if anything this scheme for Sun Solaris implies for
Linux, I don't know.

Hope this helps.

David