Re: customizing double click

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: customizing double click
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:11:50 +0300

> Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:11:32 -0400
> From: Rajneesh Hegde <emsink1@gmail.com>
>
> Then I bind as follows:
> (define-key LaTeX-mode-map [double-down-mouse-1] 'my-LaTeX-forward-search)
>
> The problem is that on double-clicking on a word-constituent
> character, the double-down event runs the above function (which, as
> expected, does nothing) , but the subsequent double-click event
> doesn't have the usual effect of selecting the word.
>
> On the other hand, if I bind my function to [double-mouse-1], it
> doesn't even get invoked, although the binding is successful. What am
> I missing? Thanks,

Does the following excerpt from the ELisp manual help you understand
the issue?

       Before the double-click or double-drag event, Emacs generates a
    "double-down" event when the user presses the button down for the
    second time.  Its event type contains `double-down' instead of just
    `down'.  If a double-down event has no binding, Emacs looks for an
    alternate binding as if the event were an ordinary button-down event.
    If it finds no binding that way either, the double-down event is
    ignored.

       To summarize, when you click a button and then press it again right
    away, Emacs generates a down event and a click event for the first
    click, a double-down event when you press the button again, and finally
    either a double-click or a double-drag event.