Re: how to change file coding system

From: Martin Monsorno
Subject: Re: how to change file coding system
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:22:28 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Sorry, I don't understand this.  Please show the details.

Ok, I did the following: I created 2 identical files, containing the
string "überfall":

,----
| monsorno@mmdev ~/work/workspace.c/gmx $ file bla*
| bla.eclipse: ISO-8859 text
| bla.emacs:   ISO-8859 text
`----

I then opened "bla.eclipse" with eclipse and saved it again, which
lead to this:

,----
| monsorno@mmdev ~/work/workspace.c/gmx $ file bla*
| bla.eclipse: UTF-8 Unicode text
| bla.emacs:   ISO-8859 text
`----

Opening "bla.eclipse" with emacs, shows me the string
"�berfall".  Changing the file encoding with "C-x <RET> f
iso-latin-1-unix" and saving leads to:

,----
| monsorno@mmdev ~/work/workspace.c/gmx $ file bla*
| bla.eclipse: UTF-8 Unicode text
| bla.emacs:   ISO-8859 text
`----

Somewhere in the middle I got lost.  Can anyone help me out?

--
Martin