Re: key binding with windows and menu keys

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: key binding with windows and menu keys
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:33:08 +0200

Am 16.08.2005 um 15:21 schrieb Angelina Carlton:

Is C-h k <Windows key+another key> returns just <another key>?

For me it returns: ~
That is, if I press win-logo in a writable buffer, it prints a ~ and
beeps my terminal. If the buffer is not writable it simply beeps.

For me it's not clear whether you really press two keys ...

The Windows key is presumed to be some modifier key, like Shift, Meta, Control, super, or hyper. (It does not work alone, only when pressed with one another non-modifier key.) What this key is doing is easy to find out: in *scratch* buffer C-q <Windows key>. It there is nothing coming, i.e. you see in minibuffer C-q- constantly, then it *is* a modifier key (press <any key> to finish input). You can now go to check what input is produced when you press C-q <Windows key+another key> ...

If you see something like ESC [ 2 5 ~ then your keyboard is in some ANSI/vt keyboard mode. lisp/term/lk201.el already contains a definition for that key:

        (define-key function-key-map "\e[25~" [f13])

So you should try to load/require that ELisp file in .emacs (if it does not get loaded automatically; check the *Messages* buffer for that). Then you have that key defined as f13. Now you can bind f13 to some function ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

  It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
                --      Garfield