Re: how to change file coding system

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: how to change file coding system
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 07:07:40 +0300

> From: Martin Monsorno <mmonsorno@gmx-gmbh.de>
> Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:22:28 +0200
>
> ,----
> | monsorno@mmdev ~/work/workspace.c/gmx $ file bla*
> | bla.eclipse: ISO-8859 text
> | bla.emacs:   ISO-8859 text
> `----
>
> I then opened "bla.eclipse" with eclipse and saved it again, which
> lead to this:
>
> ,----
> | monsorno@mmdev ~/work/workspace.c/gmx $ file bla*
> | bla.eclipse: UTF-8 Unicode text
> | bla.emacs:   ISO-8859 text
> `----
>
> Opening "bla.eclipse" with emacs, shows me the string

When you open bla.eclipse with Emacs, did you tell Emacs that it was a
UTF-8 encoded file?  That is, did you say

      C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f bla.eclipse

or did you use "C-x C-f" as usual?  If the latter, I'm guessing that
Emacs thought it was an ISO-8859 encoded file (because it cannot
easily distinguish between these 2 encodings), and thus your
subsequent C-x RET f had no effect at all.