Re: ps-print problems

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: ps-print problems
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:53:11 +0200

Am 17.08.2005 um 16:08 schrieb Sebastian Luque:

ESP Ghostscript 815.00: Error: Font Renderer Plugin ( FreeType ) return code = -1

I think that's it!

I am using Ghostscript 8.51 and can see your attachment in gv that it is the function timbyact from the R file timbyact.R in ~/Scripts/R/pkgs/diveMove/src/R/ from 08/17/2005.

Actually there should not be any reason why gs is being invoked. Except, it's an error message from CUPS, which is a product of the company ESP! GNU just should 'wrap' the text into PostScript and pass this to the printing system, no gs needed for Emacs. (Maybe except the case when Emacs is taught to prepare the output for a non-PS printer, then it would need to convert PS to EscP2/PJL or such -- I never used such scrap so I am no help here.)

To find out a bit more: try to print *not* to the print spooler but a file or buffer (you received advice). Any error here?

Then take this file or save the buffer to a file and try to view it in gs/gsx/gv or whatever you use to view PS files. (Or can you retrieve from the PS file the text with ps2ascii?) Any error?

Finally send the PS file via lp/lpr to the printer. Any error now?

I am quite sure that only the last attempt will produce an error making sure that the CUPS based printing system is not OK. Do you have the right PPD file for your printer? In case it's not a PS printer: can you print other PS or PDF files (both might be coming from TeX)?

--
Greetings

  Pete

There's no place like ~