Re: intlfonts and quote marks

From: Martin Steer
Subject: Re: intlfonts and quote marks
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:15:25 +1000

> Am 21.08.2005 um 19:31 schrieb Martin Steer:
>
>> I have a problem with quotation marks and the intlfonts, which I've
>> just installed. These fonts have 'smart quotes' which seem not to be
>> so smart. All I get are closing (right-side) marks, regardless of
>> position.
>
> Well, *you* have to be so smart to choose them!
>
> In Mac OS X I press on my German keyboard alt-2 (“) or Shift-alt-2 (”)
> or alt-Shift-w („) to get them. When I want ...

I wasn't clear. I meant that use of the font replaces all ordinary
(vertical) quotes in any buffer with 'smart quotes', with the result
that there are closing (single or double) quotes in all positions,
including, for example, quoted text in emails. I would like to fix
this behaviour, but retain the font. As you suggest, it seems to me
that smart quotes should be an option, rather than the default. Should
I define a new fontset? The standard fontset has picked up the use of
intlfonts automatically (they're at the head of my fontpath: could
this be the source of the problem?).

--
Martin