Gnus threading (was: expand/collapse{} in c++)

From: Jason Dufair
Subject: Gnus threading (was: expand/collapse{} in c++)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:31:53 -0500

Baloff <washdc@xxx> writes:

> M-x gnus or even M-x 5 2 gnus, the frame or both frames freeze till it
> finishes downloading the articles, then I can use emacs, is that the
> way it is?

I believe this is indeed the way it is.  I understand from previous
newsgroup discussions this is due to the fact that at least some parts
of Emacs are not multi-threaded and so other internal processes are
blocking on I/O of some sort.

I have gotten around this process by simply running Gnus in a separate
Emacs process (and another frame, obviously).  Not the most elegant, but
it does the trick.
--
Jason Dufair - jase@dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/