Re: generic-mode: Keywords also highlight with an underscore

From: rgb
Subject: Re: generic-mode: Keywords also highlight with an underscore
Date: 25 Aug 2005 10:55:34 -0700

> >     (modify-syntax-entry ?\_ "w" st)
>
> Great, that works.
> Since I didn't know what to put in for st, I defined
>
> (defun syntax-table-for-fnord() (modify-syntax-entry ?\_ "w"))

I believe that you would use this to modify a modes table
from a mode hook.

(modify-syntax-entry ?\_ "w" (syntax-table))

When writing a mode I usually see it done like this:

(defvar tal-mode-syntax-table
  (let ((st (make-syntax-table)))
    (modify-syntax-entry ?\n ">" st)
     ... <zillion other lines snipped>
    (modify-syntax-entry ?\_ "w" st)
    (modify-syntax-entry ?\{ "." st)
    (modify-syntax-entry ?\| "." st)
    (modify-syntax-entry ?\} "." st)
    st)
  "Syntax table for `tal-mode'.")

Then this is in the tal-mode function:

  (set-syntax-table tal-mode-syntax-table)

> However, I'd rather have this fix globally. Is there
> a global syntax table that I can use for st in my .emacs?

I've never tried to modify the global map so I'm not
sure this is correct but looks to me like it should be.

(modify-syntax-entry ?\_ "w" (standard-syntax-table))