Re: how to change file coding system

From: Martin Monsorno
Subject: Re: how to change file coding system
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:52:33 +0200

> Am 25.08.2005 um 09:52 schrieb Martin Monsorno:
>
>> | Current language environment: UTF-8
>>

> There is nowhere in this world a language ``UTF-8´´, even Esperanto is
> ``Esperanto´´. Try it again with German and do yourself a favour and
> set LC_ALL to an UTF-8 value! Then check the multibyte awareness again!

Well, you can choose "UTF-8" from the "Set Language Environment"?
(while I'm sure that there are even less UTF-8 speakers than there are
esperanto speakers).  Anyway, choosing "German" from the list makes
the info screen showing "German" as language environment, but nothing
else changes.

locale says:

,----
| monsorno@mmdev ~ $ locale
| LANG=de_DE.utf8
| LC_CTYPE="de_DE.utf8"
| LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.utf8"
| LC_TIME="de_DE.utf8"
| LC_COLLATE="de_DE.utf8"
| LC_MONETARY="de_DE.utf8"
| LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.utf8"
| LC_PAPER="de_DE.utf8"
| LC_NAME="de_DE.utf8"
| LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.utf8"
| LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.utf8"
| LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.utf8"
| LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.utf8"
| LC_ALL=de_DE.utf8
`----

I played around with de_DE.UTF-8, posix and leaving the value blank
(LANG and LC_ALL): no difference!  Emacs always prints the same info
about multibyte character awareness and language environment.

It seems to me my emacs installation is /not/ capable of handling
multibyte characters, right?  So what to do?

--
Martin