user input in a macro

From: Baloff
Subject: user input in a macro
Date: 31 Aug 2005 18:11:50 +1000

Hello

I am building a macro using edit-kbd-macro.

******************************
C-x C-f                 ;; find-file
E                       ;; self-insert-command
TAB                     ;; c-indent-command
T                       ;; self-insert-command
2*TAB                   ;; c-indent-command
4                       ;; self-insert-command
TAB                     ;; c-indent-command
RET                     ;; newline
+9                      ;; self-insert-command
RET                     ;; newline
v                       ;; self-insert-command
C-x C-f                 ;; find-file
main.cpp                ;; self-insert-command * 8
RET                     ;; newline

now, what that says is make a directory in this location and name it 9
now, how do I choose a name dynamically while the macro is running?

what I did

******************************
C-x C-f                 ;; find-file
E                       ;; self-insert-command
TAB                     ;; c-indent-command
T                       ;; self-insert-command
2*TAB                   ;; c-indent-command
4                       ;; self-insert-command
TAB                     ;; c-indent-command
RET                     ;; newline
+
C-x q                   ;; self-insert-command
RET                     ;; newline
v                       ;; self-insert-command
C-x C-f                 ;; find-file
main.cpp                ;; self-insert-command * 8
RET                     ;; newline

but this puts 'E' at the end of the path and I feel it will not
work. any help is appreciated.

thanks