Re: change of variable name in 21.4

From: Neon Absentius
Subject: Re: change of variable name in 21.4
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 00:32:06 +0000

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 09:22:16AM +1000, Baloff wrote:
> Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 06:03:03PM +1000, Baloff wrote:
> >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I have been trying to find the name of the variable to change file
> > > association with an application. according to the book I am reading
> > > it is called Dired-view-command-alist. but not in emacs 21.4a-1 under
> > > Debian. does any one know what the name of the variable is.
> > > I tried C-h [a to z] for no avail.
> > >

> > ,----[ C-h v dired-guess-shell-alist-user RET ]
> > | dired-guess-shell-alist-user's value is shown below.
--- 8< ---

> what emacs version are you using? I cannot find this variable in the
> package emacs 21.4a-1 packaged by Debian.

Well I am using mostly emacs-multi-tty (22.0.50.1) on Debian
testing/unstable but I have also installed the default emacs21 package
that is in etch (or unstable).  In that emacs "M-x version" gives

 GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2005-03-17 on trouble, modified by Debian

and when I give "C-h v dired-guess-shell-alist-user RET" it gives the
anwer I quoted above.

The answer to your problem might be in this part

> | Defined in `dired-x'.

This variable is not in the plain vanila dired, you have to use dired-x.
I have the following in my .emacs:

  ;; load the extended dired stuff.
  ;; (info "(dired-x)")
  (require 'dired-x)

HTH

--
Most precious among the relics remaining of Peter's skeleton in the
Vatican are 29 fragments of one of his skulls. (St. Peter's other