Re: Calling `compile` command on a remote host

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Calling `compile` command on a remote host
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:46:48 +0200

Anakreon <anakreonmejdi@yahoo.gr> writes:

> I use tramp to edit files on a remote host from within emacs.
> This works fine but I'd prefer to call the [Alt+x compile] command on those
> files. Now I use ssh to call 'make' on the remote host which has the
> disadvantage
> that the errors found during compilation are reported on the console.
>
> Is there a way to convince the compile command to call 'make' on the remote
> host
> via ssh?

Which Tramp version do you use? More recent ones provide (limited)
compilation support for remote files in the package tramp-util.el. You
can apply `tramp-compile' on such files. And if the minor tramp-mode
is enabled, this command is already bound to <menu-bar> <tools>
<compile>.

See also <http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Compilation>

Best regards, Michael.