Re: emacs under Cygwin

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: emacs under Cygwin
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:22:52 +0300

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 13:44:21 +0200, Paminu <asdad@asd.com> wrote:

> I just downloaded emacs 21.4a from:
>
> http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/
>
> I unzipped it to my home dir in c:\cygwin and opened a shell and entered the
> dir and typed ./configure. But then I get this error:
>
> configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to 'i686-pc-cygwin' systems.
>
> Is there no way to install emacs under cygwin?
>
> I would prefer to build a native linux version under Cygwin instead of
> installing the windows version.

You can use the Cygwin's distributed Emacs (21.2) - just use setup to
download/install it. If you want to compile and install Emacs yourself,
You'll have to get it from CVS (Emacs 22.0.50), this build as is.

To get the CVS emacs do:

export CVS_RSH="ssh"
cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

Then install it as you would do on UNIX, i.e.
    configure
    make bootstarp
    make install

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign