Re: newbie elisp question

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: newbie elisp question
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:28:46 GMT

"Pascal Bourguignon" <spam@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message
87r7bzayse.fsf@thalassa.informatimago.com">news:87r7bzayse.fsf@thalassa.informatimago.com...
> "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com> writes:
> >> (defun goto-vowel ()
> >>  "Skip to next vowel after point."
> >>  (interactive)
> >>  (while (not (looking-at "[aeiouy]") (forward-char)))
> >
> > Why the quotes? Is this acceptable reg-exp syntax?
>
> I don't see any quote in this function. quote = '
> I see four double-quotes that delimit two strings. double-quote = "
> There are also a pair of brackets = [] inside one of this strings,
which is
> a regexp syntax to mean any of the characters inside the brackets.

I was using the word 'quote' here generically and too loosely for the
context, as if one were to say bang for exclamation point where it might
mean, for example "logical not." Anyway, the substance of my
animadversion was wrong-headed, as I realized as soon as I sent it out.
The reason is that I have never used regular expressions
programatically, only interactively.

> > Which leads to my final
> > question: Has anyone here successfully copypasted from a utf-8
buffer to
> > another Windows application that supports Unicode? My emacs is a w32
> > build (21.3) and I can only accomplish the transfer of arbitrary
unicode
> > strings by saving to a file as utf-8, opening or inserting the file
> > (encoded text) with Open Office, and then copypasting from there.
Any
> > ideas?
>
> It should be enough to configure the encodings. Something like this in
> ~/.emacs:
>
>         (set-language-environment               'UTF-8)
>         (set-default-coding-systems             'utf-8)
>         (setq file-name-coding-system           'utf-8)
>         (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8)
>         (setq coding-system-for-write           'utf-8)
>         (set-keyboard-coding-system             'utf-8)
>         (set-terminal-coding-system             'utf-8)
>         (set-clipboard-coding-system            'utf-8)
>         (set-selection-coding-system            'utf-8)
>         (prefer-coding-system                   'utf-8)
>         (modify-coding-system-alist 'process "\\*shell\\*\\'"
'utf-8-unix)

I had tried all of these before except the last line. Using  (under
Win98)

 (modify-coding-system-alist 'process "[cC][mM][dD][pP][rR][oO][xX][yY]"
'utf-8-unix)

I still get garbage when trying to copypaste Unicode. I think I want to
set this back to undecided-dos, though, or I am afraid I'll have
problems with the different end of line conventions. I guess I'll try
your suggestion on another w32 emacs  21.3 that I have installed on
Win2000 system.

Thanks anyway,

Ed.

http://www.informatimago.com/