Re: Opening speedbar in the same frame

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: Opening speedbar in the same frame
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:05:39 -0800

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [050909 21:45]:
Hi Drew:
>     1)Is it possible to open the speedbar in the same frame
>       as the request?
>     2)If so, why is it the default to open the speedbar in its
>       own frame?
>
> I can't answer #1 or #2.

 :-) Must be a reason. Maybe even a good one. The tip in speedbar.el
     was to map a keystroke to 'speedbar-get-focus. Doing so, is a
     great help.

<...>
> My code to shrink-wrap frames resizes a frame to fit the selected window. It
> does not resize windows within a frame, so it might not be what you're
> looking for.
>
> Generally, it is useful when you use only one Emacs window per frame. To do
> that, set variable `pop-up-frames' to `t'. I prefer window-manager windows
> (aka Emacs frames) to Emacs windows, but you may not.
>
> The frame is resized to be wide enough that lines don't need to be wrapped,
> but no wider than the widest line. Similarly, for height. You can set
> maximum and minimum dimensions.
>
>     Pointers/URLs to discussions, documentation etc. on any or all
>     of the questions is welcome.
>
> The shrink-wrapping code is in libraries fit-frame.el and autofit-frame.el,
> available here:
>
> 1. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/fit-frame.el
>
> 2. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/autofit-frame.el
>
> The first provides a command that you can use to fit (i.e. shrink-wrap) a
> frame. The second makes Emacs automatically fit all one-window frames. The
> second requires the first.
>
> An explanation with screenshots is here:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Shrink-Wrapping_Frames.
>
> HTH.

   Well, shrink wrapping *is not* what I was looking for, but
   it *will* prove to be very useful. (serendipity!)
   Thanks for pointing me that way.

   Cheers
   tim

--