Re: etags: M-. jump to the tag(called func), but then how can i jump BAC

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: etags: M-. jump to the tag(called func), but then how can i jump BACK(the calling line)?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:14:41 +0000 (UTC)

David Kastrup
<dak@gnu.org>], who wrote in article <85d5nfe3oy.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>:
> > This is a gaping hole in the Emacs UI.  I wrote a package,
> > imenu-go.el, which behaves "as expected".
>
> Hardly.
>
> M-* runs the command pop-tag-mark
>    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `etags'.
> It is bound to M-*.
> (pop-tag-mark)
>
> Pop back to where M-. was last invoked.
>
> This is distinct from invoking M-. with a negative argument
> since that pops a stack of markers at which tags were found, not from
> where they were found.

a) Can't parse your last paragraph;

b) I vaguely remember indeed somebody wanting to propagate the code
   from imenu-go back into etags; it may be that pop-tag-mark has the
   functionality of imenu-go (at least when imenu-go works with tags;
   it can get info where-to-jump from other sources too).

c) My experience with my code propagated back to Emacs is very
   negative: a lot of times the resulting code has only subset of
   the original functionality.  So I have no incentive to check how
   well pop-tag-mark behaves...

Hope this helps,
Ilya