Re: Suggestions? Better filetype sniffing -- XHTML vs. HTML

From: don provan
Subject: Re: Suggestions? Better filetype sniffing -- XHTML vs. HTML
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:25:50 -0700

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@glug.org> writes:

>   (setq f '(+ 1 2 3))
>   (funcall f)
>
> would also be "valid", which it is not.

I've kinda forgotten what we're talking about now, but I think the
question was something about using concepts about function addressing
learned from C as a way of explaining quoted function names when
learning lisp. So you would only think the above is valid if you
thought

    extern int func(int, int, int);
    int (*f)(int, int, int);
    f = func(1, 2, 3); /* or perhaps "&func(1, 2, 3)" */
    (*f)();

was valid in C, which it is not. Quoting an expression is really quite
a bit different than quoting a function name, so I don't really see
any reason to worry about the two being confused.

Granted, what is completely unexpected to a C programer is that
    (setq f '(+ 1 2 3))
    (eval f)
is valid and does do just what it looks like it does.

-don