RE: balance-windows again

From: Bingham, Jay
Subject: RE: balance-windows again
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:13:04 -0500

<Send replies only to the list not to this address>

On: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 at 6:43 PM Lennart Borgman wrote:

> Some time ago I wrote some suggestions about how to rewrite
> balance-windows to use the windows split tree. I have tried to do
that.
> The file bw.el at
>
>    http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/elisp/test/
>
> contains my rewrite of balance-windows. Could those who are interested

> please test this version?

Lennart,

I tried your bw.el package on emacs 21.3 running on Win2K, and found the
following:

After evaluating the buffer containing the package and splitting window
into three uneven windows I executed bw-balance.  I received the
following message:
let: Wrong number of arguments: #<subr enlarge-window>, 3

Looking at the function bw-enlarge-window I saw that the invocation of
enlarge-window has three arguments (arg side preserve-before), the help
on enlarge window in emacs 21.3 says that the funciton requires at most
two arguments.  I removed the third argument (preserve-before) and
re-evaled the buffer.  When I executed the function bw-balance the
windows were balanced as expected.  I then tried some configurations
that were a little more complex and they balanced as expected.  The
following configurations balanced as expected:

+----------------------+    +----------+-----+-----+
|                      |    |          |     |     |
|                      |    |          |     |     |
|                      |    |          |     |     |
+----------------------+    |          |     |     |
|                      |    +----------+-----+-----+
|                      |    |                      |
|                      |    |                      |
+----------------------+    |                      |
|                      |    |                      |
|                      |    +----------------------+
|                      |    |                      |
|                      |    |                      |
|                      |    |                      |
|                      |    |                      |
+----------------------+    +----------------------+

+------+-------+-------+
|      |       |       |
|      |       |       |
|      |       |       |
|      |       |       |
+------+-------+-------+
|                      |
|                      |
|                      |
|                      |
+----------+-----+-----+
|          |     |     |
|          |     |     |
|          |     |     |
|          |     |     |
+----------+-----+-----+

However, when I tried some more complex configurations of windows, emacs
stopped responding and I would have to kill the process.

Here are two windows configurations that caused emacs to hang:

+------+-------+-------+        +------+-------+-------+
|      |       |       |        |      |       |       |
|      |       |       |        |      |       |       |
|      |       |       |        |      |       |       |
|      |       |       |        |      |       |       |
+------+-------+-------+        +------+-------+-------+
|                      |        |                      |
|                      |        |                      |
+----------------------+        +----------------------+
|                      |        |                      |
|                      |        |                      |
+----------+-----+-----+        +------+-------+-------+
|          |     |     |        |      |       |       |
|          |     |     |        |      |       |       |
|          |     |     |        |      |       |       |
|          |     |     |        |      |       |       |
+----------+-----+-----+        +------+-------+-------+

+----------------------+
|                      |
|                      |
+----------------------+
|                      |
|                      |
+------+-------+-------+
|      |       |       |
|      |       |       |
|      |       |       |
|      |       |       |
+------+---+---+-+-----+
|          |     |     |
|          |     |     |
|          |     |     |
|          |     |     |
+----------+-----+-----+

This not so complex configuration also caused a hang:

+----------------------+
|                      |
|                      |
|                      |
|                      |
+----------------------+
|                      |
|                      |
|                      |
|                      |
+------+---------------+
|      |               |
|      |               |
|      |               |

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    Hewlett-Packard
.    Austin, TX
. "Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire."     -Dr. George W.
Crane-