Re: applying changes in .emacs

From: don provan
Subject: Re: applying changes in .emacs
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:09:03 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> You are not missing anything, I think.  Simply put, typical .emacs
> code is written assuming that it is evaluated only once, when Emacs
> starts.  While that might be a bad assumption for general-purpose Lisp
> code, what one puts in .emacs is not general-purpose code, and in any
> case, that's how people tend to do it.

OK. I stopped treating .emacs differently the first time I reevaluated
the buffer to try out some new code and got screwed. I admit I'm lazy
about some things, like I don't worry about having duplicate entries
in lists where it doesn't matter. But I do try to avoid code that
leads to badness when reevaluated, like modifying a "constant" list
that code would try to reuse when reevaluated.

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> For example, if you want to double the default value of some variable:
>
> (setq max-lisp-eval-depth (* 2 max-lisp-eval-depth))

Why would you want to configure a value to twice the current value?
It's specifically saying that if the standard value ever changes, you
want to change the value you use to remain relative to the new value.
Seems silly.

-don