Re: emacs 22 release

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs 22 release
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:22:21 +0200

Am 28.09.2005 um 15:04 schrieb Olive:

Does anyone know if there are a date planned for the Emacs 22 release.

I don't see so many changes from stable GNU Emacs 21.4 to GNU Emacs 22 from CVS. The latter still can't handle completely the case of dealing with more than one ISO or Unicode encoding. And printing is still bad too! This message comes from trying to print a buffer in ISO 8859-15/ISO Latin-9:

        These characters in the buffer can't be printed:
         €,  , ¡, ¢, £, €, ¥, Š, §, š, ©, ª, «, ¬, ­, and more...
        Click them to jump to the buffer position,
        or C-u C-x = will give information about them.

And it's not even true, since I can see ¡, ¢, £, §, ©, ª, «, ¬, ­ ...

Is it really that complicated to determine the system's TrueType fonts and use the Unicode encoded ones to print in whatever ISO, Greek, or Cyrillic encoding? Or in Arabic or Hebrew?

I'd look forward to Unicode Emacs 23.

--
Greetings

  Pete