Re: emacs 22 release

From: Sébastien Kirche
Subject: Re: emacs 22 release
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:26:50 z

At 16:10 on Oct 1 2005, Peter Dyballa said :

> How? Is there any reason  why GNU Emacs  should send different PS code
> to the *PostScript* buffer then to the printer queue?

Actually, i don't know, but IIRC I was not able to printthe euro sign to
the network printer HP LaserJet here until I found that setting
somewhere in the web.

> I wouldn't buy a printer without PostScript, so I do not have any need
> to use gs  between GNU Emacs or another  application  and the printer.
> And it's modern  enough to be able  to print € or  ISO 8859-16 glyphs.
> It's CUPS that finally takes  care for a good  printout, being able to
> convert text to PS too?

I dunno.

> There is just one need for gs: to view GNU Emacs' output or to convert
> this output reliably to PDF. Apple's own pstopdf in  Mac OS X fails as
> does any  other application when made  to display this: they all first
> need  to convert PS to  PDF to make it   display (as "Display PDF") in
> Quartz.

Yes. I never understood why can't one see a ps-printed emacs page
correctly on OSX  without processing it first.
--
Sébastien Kirche