Re: Print to PDF? Configure fonts used when printing?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Print to PDF? Configure fonts used when printing?
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 01:07:57 +0200

Am 04.10.2005 um 12:43 schrieb David Reitter:

Alternatively, is there a package that would allow me to print to PDF directly?

Not exactly an (X)Emacs package, but Perl:

http://search.cpan.org/~evanzs/PDF-CreateSimple1.09/lib/PDF/ CreateSimple.pm
http://search.cpan.org/~mhosken/Text-PDF-0.25/lib/Text/PDF/Page.pm
http://search.cpan.org/~jonallen/a2pdf-1.11/

a2pdf requires the PDF::API2 Perl module (tested with PDF::API2 version 0.3r77).
Perl syntax highlighting requires the Perl::Tidy module.
To include images in the page header, the modules File::Type and Image::Size must be installed. To enable the necessary "--page-size" option (A4 is standard), the Paper::Specs module must be installed.

While the other modules make own Perl script programming necessary, a2pdf looks to be ready-made -- but it does need a large set of other modules. Starting with Perl 5.8.7 there is perlcc -- a way to create binary Perl 'programmes' that carry everything needed with them, except dynamic libraries! a2pdf would need these, somewhere inside the Aquamacs Emacs application bundle (most are probably in Mac OS X):

        use File::Spec::Functions;
        use FindBin;
        use Getopt::Long;
        use Pod::Usage;
        use POSIX;
        use Text::ParseWords;
        use Perl::Tidy;
        use List::Util;
        use PDF::API2;
        use Paper::Specs;
        use File::Type;
        use Image::Size;

I'm having problems with a2pdf (Perl 5.6.1, Mac OS X 10.3.9, ...) ...

In the end, I think, it would be most useful to write an own script: you could use Unicode encoded fonts from Mac OS X (or additions to these sets) and be able to print in every script!

--
Greetings

  Pete

Time flies like an error