RE: Highlighting the right margin

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Highlighting the right margin
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:36:57 -0700

    I've been trying to make an .el file I downloaded to work so I can see
    where the right margin starts to avoid coding long lines.

    The file is highlight-beyond-fill-column.el, and I have this line in my
    .emacs

    (require 'highlight-beyond-fill-column)

    But after restarting emacs (22.0.50 on Mac OS X), hitting M-X and then
    trying to invoke the function highlight-beyond-fill-column, I couldn't
    find the function at all.

Does library highlight-beyond-fill-column.el have this in it?

  (provide 'highlight-beyond-fill-column)

For your `require' to work, the library must `provide' the corresponding
feature. If the library has a `provide' call with a different feature name,
use that name in your `require'. If it has no `provide', either add one to
the library or use `load-library' instead of `require', in your .emacs.
`load-library' uses the file name (sans extension); `require' uses a
provided-feature name. HTH.