Re: A true challenge for Emac and Elisp hackers - at Least I think so

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: A true challenge for Emac and Elisp hackers - at Least I think so
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:48:36 +0200

"Sune" <sune_ahlgren@hotmail.com> writes:
> 1)
> What is listed below is valid for all .c files. Not .h files!
> 2)
> I want RET, the enter key, to trig the following behaviour:
>
>    * If I hit RET with any shift-key being pressed
>      simultaneously, RET must behave as any
>      normal RET would (basically a normal
>      linefeed with possible auto-indentation).
>      This may seem backward but I want almost
>      every line in my sorce to be traceable.
>
>    * If I hit RET only, and the following applies:
>
>        - It is preceeded by a ';' (semicolon) AND the
>          word 'return' is not part of the current
>          line or:
>
>        - It is preceeded by a '{' (curly bracket)
>
>      RET adds DBG after the ';' or the '{' with a
>      space in between like so:
>
>      ; DBG
>      { DBG
>
>      respectively. After that (the same key stroke)
>      , RET behaves like a normal RET would (basically
>      a normal linefeed with possible auto-indentation).
>
> I have to admit that this is so far out there (at least for me) that I
> would need more or less a ready-to-go implementation just to paste into
> .emacs.

This is not a challenge, this is trivial.

(defvar *c-trace-code* " DBG;\n")

(defun c-after (regexp)
  (save-excursion
    (backward-char)
    (while (and (< (point-min) (point)) (looking-at "[\t\n ]"))
      (backward-char))
    (looking-at regexp)))

(defun insert-return-and-trace ()
  (interactive)
    (if (c-after "[{;]")
        (insert *c-trace-code*)
        (insert "\n"))
    (c-indent-command))

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (unless (string-match "\\.h$" (buffer-name))
                (local-set-key [return]   (function insert-return-and-trace))
                (local-set-key [S-return] (function newline)))))

> Do you know a place where something similar has been done which I can
> steal and adapt, or are you interested in implementing it? (A place on
> my tomb stone is reserved for anyone that succeeds in doing this)

(info "elisp")

--
"You cannot really appreciate Dilbert unless you read it in the
original Klingon"