Re: set dictionary for a file

From: Fabian Braennstroem
Subject: Re: set dictionary for a file
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 04:40:44 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Kevin,

thanks for the tips!

On 2005-10-12, Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
>  > I would like to set/change dictionary for certain files,
>  > which I would declare in .emacs. I tried the
>  > ispell-multi.el, but it somehow didn't work for me. In my
>  > Gnus I had
>  >
>  >    (add-hook 'gnus-select-group-hook
>  >     (lambda ()
>  >      (cond
>  >       ((string-match
>  >         "^de\\." (gnus-group-real-name gnus-newsgroup-name))
>  >        (ispell-change-dictionary "deutsch8"))
>  >
>  > which worked a while ago.
>
>  Here's what ispell.el itself says:
>
>  ;; Buffer-Local features:
>  ;; There are a number of buffer-local features that can be used to customize
>  ;;  ispell for the current buffer.  This includes language dictionaries,
>  ;;  personal dictionaries, parsing, and local word spellings.  Each of these
>  ;;  local customizations are done either through local variables, or by
>  ;;  including the keyword and argument(s) at the end of the buffer (usually
>  ;;  prefixed by the comment characters).  See the end of this file for
>  ;;  examples.  The local keywords and variables are:
>
>  ;;  ispell-dictionary-keyword   language-dictionary
>  ;;      uses local variable ispell-local-dictionary
>  ;;  ispell-pdict-keyword        personal-dictionary
>  ;;      uses local variable ispell-local-pdict
>  ;;  ispell-parsing-keyword      mode-arg extended-char-arg
>  ;;  ispell-words-keyword        any number of local word spellings
>
>  And:
>
>  ,----[ C-h v ispell-local-dictionary RET ]
> | ispell-local-dictionary's value is nil
> |
> | Documentation:
> | If non-nil, the dictionary to be used for Ispell commands.
> | The value must be a string dictionary name in `ispell-dictionary-alist'.
> | This variable becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.
> |
> | Setting `ispell-local-dictionary' to a value has the same effect as
> | calling M-x ispell-change-dictionary with that value.  This variable
> | is automatically set when defined in the file with either
> | `ispell-dictionary-keyword' or the Local Variable syntax.
> |
> | To create a non-standard default dictionary (not from
>  `ispell-dictionary-alist')
> | call function `set-default' with the new dictionary name.
> |
> | You can customize this variable.
> |
> | Defined in `ispell'.
>  `----
>
>  So try (setq ispell-local-dictionary "deutsch8") in your hook.
>
>  > Does something similar (file-load-hook?) exist for ordinary files?
>
>  ,----[ C-h v find-file-hooks RET ]
> | find-file-hooks's value is
> | (vc-find-file-hook)
> |

> | Documentation:
> | List of functions to be called after a buffer is loaded from a file.
> | The buffer's local variables (if any) will have been processed before the
> | functions are called.
> |
> | Defined in `files'.
>  `----

I am not sure, if I understood that correctly. Customizing
the find-file-hook I get a list of functions which are
called when a buffer gets loaded; e.g.  vc-find-file-hook
gets loaded. So something like could work when I open
'test.tex':

    (add-hook 'vc-find-file-hook
     (lambda ()
      (cond
       ((string-match "test.tex" )
    (setq ispell-local-dictionary "deutsch8")))))

Somehow it doesn't work!?

Now,I just tried to use:

 (if (eq buffer-file-name "article.tex" )
 (setq ispell-local-dictionary "deutsch8"))

which doesn't work either!?

Greetings!
Fabian