Re: set dictionary for a file

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: set dictionary for a file
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:58:27 -0600

Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
> On 2005-10-12, Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> So try (setq ispell-local-dictionary "deutsch8") in your hook.

Did you try:

(add-hook 'gnus-select-group-hook
          (lambda ()
            (when (string-match "^de\\."
                                (gnus-group-real-name gnus-newsgroup-name))
              (setq ispell-local-dictionary "deutsch8"))))

>> ,----[ C-h v find-file-hooks RET ]
>>| find-file-hooks's value is
>>| (vc-find-file-hook)
>>|

>>| Documentation:
>>| List of functions to be called after a buffer is loaded from a file.
>>| The buffer's local variables (if any) will have been processed before the
>>| functions are called.
>>|
>>| Defined in `files'.
>> `----
>
> I am not sure, if I understood that correctly. Customizing
> the find-file-hook I get a list of functions which are
> called when a buffer gets loaded; e.g.  vc-find-file-hook
> gets loaded.
> So something like could work when I open
> 'test.tex':
>
>     (add-hook 'vc-find-file-hook
>      (lambda ()
>       (cond
>        ((string-match "test.tex" )
>     (setq ispell-local-dictionary "deutsch8")))))
>
> Somehow it doesn't work!?

vc-find-file-hook is a function that gets called (via the
find-file-hooks variable) when a file is visited; it is not a hook
variable itself.  You want to add another function to find-file-hooks:

(add-hook 'find-file-hooks
          (lambda ()
(when (equal (file-name-nondirectory buffer-file-name) "test.tex")
              (setq ispell-local-dictionary "deutsch8"))))

But I suspect what you really want is:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (setq ispell-local-dictionary "deutsch8")))

Under what circumstances do you want to use any other dictionary than
deutsch8?

> Now,I just tried to use:
>
>  (if (eq buffer-file-name "article.tex" )
>  (setq ispell-local-dictionary "deutsch8"))
>
> which doesn't work either!?

`C-h v buffer-file-name' in the article.tex buffer will answer that.

--
Kevin Rodgers