Re: Difference in major mode autoload between 21.3.x and 22.0.x?

From: Slawomir Nowaczyk
Subject: Re: Difference in major mode autoload between 21.3.x and 22.0.x?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:20:22 +0200

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:08:25 +0200
Markus Nißl <mnissl@arcor.de> wrote:

#> Slawomir Nowaczyk wrote:
#> > On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:15:53 +0200
#> > Markus Nißl <mnissl@arcor.de> wrote:
#> >
#> > #> Using Emacs 22.0.50.1, xsl-mode is only loaded automatically when
#> > #> I create a new xsl file. When I open an existing xsl file, xml
#> > #> mode is loaded instead.

#> > I suppose you should take a look at magic-mode-alist

#> Thank you very much for your information. I now see where the
#> different behaviour comes from.

A question to the rest of the list: I have seen this being asked a
couple of time recently... maybe it would make sense to change default
value of magic-mode-alist to not include "xml-mode" and "html-mode" ?

It seems to me that magic-mode-alist makes sense if there is only one
mode for visiting certain type of files... and there seems to be a
couple different modes commonly used for xml and html.

#> By far, I'm no Emacs expert ... so, can you give me a hint in
#> which way I have to modify magic-mode-alist so that xsl-mode is
#> being started whenever a file with the extension ".xsl" is loaded?

Well, try this (not tested):

(push magic-mode-alist '("<\\?xml " . nil))

I am sure those better versed in elisp can suggest a nicer solution :)

#> In 21.x, it was a breeze for an elisp novice to copy those two
#> lines and to adjust them to my needs.

I agree, auto-mode-alist is much easier to customise.

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk