Re: Translating keys

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Translating keys
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:27:36 +0200

Mounir AITTAHAR <mounir.aittahar@fri.fr> writes:

>> Now, if what you really want is to bind a function to a key, then use
>> local-set-key: (local-set-key (kbd "A-o") ...)  or whatever key
>> combination you use to get 'ò'.
>
> Hi,
>
> As told in another thread(1), (local-set-key (kbd "é") ...) seems not
> to work if non-ASCII characters are entered by pressing one button,
> their button. It looks like these kind of keys cannot be reached by a
> local or global binding.

At least in emacs-version "22.0.50.1", it works perfectly, as well for
a directly é typed on a MacOSX AZERTY, or using C-x 8 ' e

> I allowed myself to tell the problem in this thread cause it is a
> related subjetc and it seems you are a french user (and you may use a
> french keyboard)

I am, but I never use this AZERTY monstruosity.

> Do you know this problem and how to solve it ?

(local-set-key (kbd "é") (lambda()(interactive)(insert "\ngot e acute\n")))

In deep sleep hear sound,
Cat vomit hairball somewhere.
Will find in morning.