Re: emacs for winXP (where to put the .emacs file)?

From: rgb
Subject: Re: emacs for winXP (where to put the .emacs file)?
Date: 18 Oct 2005 14:44:17 -0700

> I have just installed emacs for winXP. But where do I put my .emacs file? Do
> I need to add something in my path first?

If you set a HOME environment variable it's value defines where
your .emacs goes.  If you're satisfied with whereever the default
might land you can just use ~\.emacs and Emacs will handle the rest.

Although you can set environment variables at the system level from
[My Computer][Properties][Advanced][Environment Variables]
You can also create .bat files that contain different values
for HOME which you might use for different purposes.

set home=H:\EmacsStuff
Causes Emacs to look for h:\EmacsStuff\.emacs

Or you could do it this way to avoid the need to
actually change the .bat file.

set home=%~dp0