Re: M-x shell not working

From: Sunil Yeddu
Subject: Re: M-x shell not working
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 05:52:39 -0700

I think the problem is with pt_chown on our system.

$ ls -l /usr/libexec/pt_chown
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         5236 Nov  7  2003 /usr/libexec/pt_chown
   There is no execute permission !! It was removed due to some other reason. I will get the permissions set correctly and then verify if the problem goes away.

Thanks,
Sunil

On 10/20/05, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 05:03:54 -0700
> From: Sunil Yeddu <ysunilraja@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Clearcase is a source control system. Like CVS. This whole problem is
> happening only inside a clearcase view.

No, ClearCase is _not_ just another source control system, and it
surely isn't like CVS.  To support dynamic views, ClearCase defines
virtual filesystems, which AFAIK no other VC system does.  It also
does other virulent changes to the normal Unix environment; in
particular, setting a view spawns a new shell.

> This fact points out that there is some change in emacs-21.4.

There were gazillions of changes between Emacs 20.7 and 21.4.  Some of
them somehow interact badly with the shell used by ClearCase and with
your shell startup files.  There's no way that we could help you
unless you debug the problem(s) on your system and pinpoint the
line(s) in your shell startup files that cause these error messages.
When you post that information, it is reasonable to expect someone to
come up with an idea how to fix the problem.