Re: How can I kill these buffers automatically (Woman-log Completions)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How can I kill these buffers automatically (Woman-log Completions)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:41:28 +0200

> From: Angelina Carlton <brat@magma.ca>
> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 07:51:11 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > That's because you set woman-show-log too late: it should be set
> > _before_ woman.elc is loaded.  Alternatively, use the Customize
> > feature to customize the value of the variable, and have Customize
> > write the correct code into your .emacs.
> >
> I tried it placing the line right at the top of my .emacs and it still
> wont do anything, also tried via the customize menus also with no effect.

Perhaps we are miscommunicating: this variable controls whether the
log buffer is _shown_, not whether it is created and filled with log
message.  If you expected that setting it to nil will prevent WoMan
from logging messages into the log buffer, you misunderstood the doc
string of woman-show-log.

> Because although I use Iswitch buffer, when I have *Compile-log*
> *Completions* and some other file I might be visiting that happens to
> begin with Comp it becomes for me at least, a little extra step to type
> out the buffer name. (or enough of the buffer name to be unique)

You can tailor this Iswitch's behavior by customizing the variable
iswitchb-buffer-ignore.

> Maybe its because I am relatively new to emacs and this is the way it
> works, you just get used to having lots of buffers?

Yes, I think you should get used to this.  Emacs creates a lot of
buffers, so this is perfectly normal.

> > I also don't see any sense in killing the *Help* buffer, because it
> > will be reused (and recreated, if needed) by the next help command.
> > It is also handy to go to that buffer if you forgot some detail.
>
> I dont care really if emacs has to recreate the buffer

My point was that, even if you kill *Help*, it will be created again
in a short while.  So why bother?