Re: Accelerating Emacs?

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: Re: Accelerating Emacs?
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:53:08 +0800

From: "Flying Grass" <wcy123@gmail.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date: 27 Oct 2005 19:59:30 -0700

try fundamental-mode

I tried that, but it is only effective when making small
changes i.e. deleting a character. On my test on a
8612 KB size file, Emacs is not quick enough yet. The
sed command

   sed 's/[A-Z]/0/g' test

needs 17s to finish its job, and vim command

   :1,$:s/[A-Z]/0/g

needs 1min 7s, but even 20min is still not enough for
the Emacs command (in fundamental-mode)

   (replace-regexp "[A-Z]" "0" nil nil nil)

Besides, Emacs uses about 128MB memory. And when
I tried to mark all text, Emacs complains about the
memory.

So I think it is better of using tools such as sed and
vim to edit file bigger than 5MB instead of Emacs,
since Emacs is not good at this job.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu