Re: Accelerating Emacs?

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Accelerating Emacs?
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:36:55 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "Herbert Euler" <herberteuler@hotmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:53:08 +0800
>>
>> Besides, Emacs uses about 128MB memory.
>
> ??? Not unless you visit many large files, it isn't.  My Emacs session
> where I'm typing this runs for many days, has gobs of files and
> buffers in it, and still uses only 22MB of memory.

He started by writing that he created a 192MB file of random data,
which means Emacs uses at least that amount.

If that is typical of the kind of data Herbert work with, he may very
well be best served by using another tool.  'sed' is actually
optimized for the kind of task he have used as examples, so that would
be a good choice.