Re: Accelerating Emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Accelerating Emacs?
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:18:27 +0200

> From: "Herbert Euler" <herberteuler@hotmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 02:28:30 +0800
>
> And are there some configuration steps before using Emacs
> in Windows?

Not as far as performance is concerned, no (to the best of my
knowledge).

> I typed
>
>     M-x texinfo-format-buffer
>
> in the buffer associated with 'emacs-lisp-intro.texi'. On the same
> machine, Emacs in Windows didn't finish it in 10min, while Emacs
> in Debian finished it very quickly in no more than 1min.

That's very strange.  On my 3GHz box, the above takes 6 seconds in the
Windows port of the CVS Emacs.  What version of Emacs are you using
(what does "M-x emacs-version RET" display)?

> Am I having some config problems?

There's a problem, allright, but I'm unsure what kind, exactly.  When
you invoke "M-x texinfo-format-buffer", do you see in the echo area
messages like the following:

    Formatting: Passing the argument ...
    Formatting: Passing a negative argument ...
    Formatting: @code{yank-pop} ...
    Formatting: The @file{ring.el} File ...
    Formatting: A Graph with Labelled Axes ...
    Formatting: Labelled Example Graph ...
    Formatting: The @code{print-graph} Varlist ...
    Formatting: The @code{print-Y-axis} Function ...
    Formatting: What height should the label be? ...
    Formatting: Side Trip: Compute a Remainder ...
    Formatting: Construct a Y Axis Element ...
    Formatting: Create a Y Axis Column ...
    Formatting: The Not Quite Final Version of @code{print-Y-axis} ...
    Formatting: The @code{print-X-axis} Function ...
    Formatting: Similarities and differences ...