Re: Mark current column

From: rgb
Subject: Re: Mark current column
Date: 2 Nov 2005 09:07:46 -0800

> >> Is it possible somehow easily (=using at most a few elisp lines in .emacs?)
> >> to highlight the current column (in all the (visible) lines of the current
> >> buffer) by a (custom)key sequence?
> >
> > This is a piece of a bigger package I've been putting together.
> > Maybe I'll get this part polished up and posted to the wiki
> > sometime later this week.
>
> Thanks! I can't see these things on your wiki, but I started to use your
> column-marker posted here. It makes almost exactly what I wanted. (Though I
> can't mark several lines at the same time (what would be good)

The version on the wiki lets you define as many markers as you want.
For example:

(require 'column-marker)
(column-marker-create-dynamic my-other-marker)

The new marker is named my-other-marker and works the same as
column-marker-here.

> + I can't
> see the marker in shorter lines, however it would also be good.)

I think lots of people would like that, including me.
If you pad all the shorter lines with blanks it makes the marker
visible.  Maybe not a great solution but sometimes its viable.