Re: wikipedia and UTF8 coding (emacs21)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: wikipedia and UTF8 coding (emacs21)
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:33:30 -0500

> The iso coding seem to be broken, I am using xemacs no mule so the
> UTF8 option does not work, so I thought of using emacs21 for the
> moment, however when opening the relevant file, the UTF8 is not
> displayed correctly,

How is it displayed incorrectly?  Do you see some other chars than what you
expect, or do you see empty squares?  If you see empty squares (i.e. chars
for which Emacs can't find a font), place point on one of them and then do
C-u C-x = which will tell you what this char is.

> I tried to play around with the language setting but now the coding
> remains broken, that is I see symbols like Brüder which should be
> displayed like Brüder but it is not.

If UTF-8 is not auto-detected, try (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8).
Or if you don't want utf-8 to be your default and you know the the general
shape of the names of your wikipedia files, you can play with
file-coding-system-alist.

        Stefan