Re: printing from w32 emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: printing from w32 emacs
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 06:45:07 +0200

> From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
> Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 01:11:07 GMT
>
> Thanks  Lennart and Eli. Eli, yes I did read it, more than once. I think
> I even understood everything except the part about printing on a
> network. I left 'lpr-command at "" (null string). I tried PRN (and
> suffixed with :), LPT1, LPT2, LPT3. Printer light blinks once but
> nothing else happens.

Does it blink no matter which port name you use?  Or just for some
specific port?  If the latter, which port causes the blinking?

You can cause the printer to capture a specific port in the "Ports"
tab of the printer settings (Start->Settings->Printers and Faxes, then
right-click on the printer name and select Properties).

Failing that, there's a nice program called PrFile32 (look for it on
the net).  You can set it up to be your lpr replacement with the
following settings:

 (setq lpr-command "C:/Program Files/PrintFile/prfile32.exe")
 (setq lpr-switches '("/q"))

(If your printer supports Postscript, you can add 2 similar settings
for ps-print.)

> (setq ps-lpr-command "C:\\Program Files\\Ghostgum\\gsview\\gsprint.exe")
> (setq ps-printer-name t)
>
> I can print ordinary files with this setup but if the files contain any
> characters outside of the Latin-1 range then a popup dialogue appears
> with: "Font for some characters not found..." when I run Postscript
> print buffer.

That's a different problem: you need to install BDF fonts and set up
ps-print to use them.  See the large commentary in the file ps-mule.el
for more details.