List of major modes?

From: David Reitter
Subject: List of major modes?
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:40:33 +0000

How would I go about compiling a list of all major modes available in the current emacs session?
(Both loaded ones and autoloadable ones.)

My first thought was doing something like

 (apropos-internal ".*-mode$")

which works, but doesn't distinguish between major and minor modes, which would be important.

I cannot actually run any of the mode functions (would take way too long).

From looking at the elisp level code, there is very little programmatic distinction between minor and major modes, at least nothing that could be easily detected.

thanks...