Re: List of major modes?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: List of major modes?
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 02:15:29 +0100

rgb wrote:

Here's the best I could come up with:

(apropos-internal "-mode\\'"
                  (lambda (mode)
                    (and (commandp mode)
                         (string-match "\\`Major mode\\>"
                                       (documentation mode)))))

Slick.
It needed a slight tweek on my machine running CVS Emacs.
(documentation mode) would sometimes return nil and blow up
string-match.  tooltip-mode was one that returned nil.  I don't
understand why though.  It does seem to be documented.... hmm.
C-h f tooltip-mode RET gives a default help string. This actually says that tooltip-mode is not documented.