Re: [comp.emacs] new frame geometry

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: [comp.emacs] new frame geometry
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:02:32 -0700

Mike Ballard wrote:
I specify emacs' geometry in ~/.Xdefaults.  But using gnome (2.6) I
*think* (or misunderstand) it or its wm are screwing things up because for
one thing I have to specifically load ~/.Xdefaults when I start a session
so that my initial emacs has the geometry I want.

The problem is using emacs' "new frame" and getting a position/size that
isn't at all what's in ~/.Xdefaults (and I don't set geo in ~/.emacs so I
don't know where this wierd geo is coming from).

I know I can set geo in ~/.emacs and maybe/probably the new frames would
have the correct geo; but if I want to continue doing it the way I already
am, can someone tell me how/if I can set "new frame"-only geo in ~/.emacs?

`C-h v default-frame-alist' states:

| Alist of default values for frame creation.
| These may be set in your init file, like this:
| (setq default-frame-alist '((width . 80) (height . 55) (menu-bar-lines . 1))
| These override values given in window system configuration data,
|  including X Windows' defaults database.

If you want your .Xdefaults geometry used for new frames as well,
try this in your .emacs: (setq default-frame-alist initial-frame-alist)

--
Kevin Rodgers