Re: copy text from gnu emacs to mozilla editor

From: John Russell
Subject: Re: copy text from gnu emacs to mozilla editor
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:23:58 -0500

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hello
>
> I am used from my xemacs experience that the following works:
>

>     - I mark a  text in xemacs and put  the mouse  in the mozilla
>       editor, by mouse-2 the text gets copies
>
>     -  or I mark the text kill it and then paste in the mozilla
>     editor.
>
> That seems not to work in gnus 21.4.1
> (Debian SID)

I have had very strange experiences with emacs and cutting and pasting
text with other applications.  I've found that at different times things like

menu-bar-enable-clipboard
x-select-enable-clipboard

get me the behavior I want at that moment, but nothing gets emacs to

1) use the primary (transient x mouse select ) selection when I select
things with the mouse and use middle click to paste them
2) use the kill command ( C-w ) to put things in the Clipboard selection
which most other ( gtk+/Qt ) apps can paste with C-v or something.
3) nothing else

Like I said, I've gotten each of these to work at different times with the
functions/variables above but it never quite works right for all cases.

John