Re: Is it possible to set a "goal column" for 'beginning-of-line'?

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: Re: Is it possible to set a "goal column" for 'beginning-of-line'?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:16:56 +0800

Thank all of you.

From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:35:46 -0500

There are many different ways to get this behavior, so you'll need to be
more specific if you want to know what's the best option for you.
Things that matter:
- do you want all programatic uses of beginning-of-line to be affected or
  only the interactive C-a command?
- what about other commands like C-f and C-b?  Should they be allowed to
  move through the first 8 chars of a line?
- are those first 8 chars real?  I.e. do they get loaded from/saved into
  a file?
- should they be shown or should they be ideally hidden?

I.e. tell us more about the bigger picture of what you're trying to do.

Actually I'm using php-mode within html-mode, plus mmm-mode.
Now the identation of PHP code is poor in this condition. After
reading some code doing the identing job I found it is possible
to solve this by set such a "goal column," since most of them
count the column from column 0 by go to there with 'beginning-
of-line'. If we could set this column, a few modifications to mmm-
mode will make it handle identation better.

Another method is to modify the identing code to use another
function to go to the "beginning" of a line instead of 'beginning-
of-line', but this could be more difficult.

I'll take a look at the field property now. But 'avoid-columns-1-7'
is not proper due to my confusing description.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu