Re: rmail: dealing with mailing lists ?

From: Christopher C. Stacy
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 01:40:46 GMT

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> On 27 Nov 2005, leon wrote:
>
>> You'll be better off using gnus.
>
> I just do but I want to test other emacs mails modes. Rmail is
> one of them and the oldest one AFAIK. I want to know why there so
> many people still using it nowadays.

I wonder if there are "many people" using it.
I only use it because I have many archival mailboxes
in BABYL file format going back 25 years.

At the place where Emacs was invented, we had already replaced RMAIL
with BABYL, and then with something much more powerful, all 25 years ago.
But the superior technology is no longer available -- long story -- and
I'm not thrilled with any of the other Emacs-based mail handling systems
like Gnus (which I do use for newsgroups).  So when the day came, I just
exported my mail files into BABYL format and sadly dropped back to RMAIL.
RMAIL lacks many features, but it's been adequate.