Re: How to put emacs in fg if it was run by "xterm -e emacs -nw"

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: How to put emacs in fg if it was run by "xterm -e emacs -nw"
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:51:40 +0000 (UTC)

<Chenfu.Wang@nokia.com>], who wrote in article
<mailman.17184.1133268938.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>:
> Run "xterm -e emacs -nw" and then press "Ctrl + Z". Is there way to put =
> emacs back to foreground?

[Please disregard the BS in the earlier answers to your post (there is
 no shell in the picture).]

I do not think you have a chance; this is a serious bug in the design
of TTYs (it should have been the shell who enables SUSP tty setting,
not the creator of TTY).  I think I saw something in XTerm changelog

  http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.log.html

to address this shortcoming.  You may also try disabling tty's SUSP
setting from inside emacs in this situation:

  xterm -e env NO_SHELL=yes emacs -nw

and check for NO_SHELL in your .emacs (do not know how to do analogue
of stty from within emacs; of couse, you can call stty directly).

Hope this helps,
Ilya