Re: Completion- Help

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: Completion- Help
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:34:06 +0100

At Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:44:24 +0100,
FD wrote:
> My question is how to write the regexp (I'm a newbie) to retrieve the
> words from a file. The file contains only a list of words separated by
> spaces.
>
> I tried
> etags -l none -r="[a-zA-Z0-9]+" list.txt
> but I obtained this:
> etags:  [a-zA-Z0-9]+  :unterminated regexp.

the man page for etags has examples for how it expects a regex to look
like: they have to delimited by slashes.

> Where can I find a good documentation on regexps for emacs?

i don't know if etags' regexes use the same syntax as emacs' regexes,
but they look similar ("basic regular expressions").

in general, the info documentation for emacs is excellent. you can
read about regexps here:

     (info "(Emacs)Regexps")

(copy this line into some emacs buffer, put the cursor behind the last
parentheses, and press C-x C-e).

hope that helps,

anselm