background pixmap format

From: Vinay
Subject: background pixmap format
Date: 30 Nov 2005 23:42:48 -0800

hi,

I trying to set-face-background-pixmap for my default face ... However,
emacs fails to recognise XPM, TIFF, JPG files as pixmaps. Using the JPG
file, I was able to get a background in XEmacs but not in GNUEmacs . I
tried both:

1. providing complete path name
2. using x-bitmap-file-path

GNU Emacs:

"GNU Emacs 20.7.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.6, X toolkit)
 of Fri Dec 15 2000 on linsparc89"

XEmacs :

"XEmacs 21.4 (patch 17) \"Jumbo Shrimp\" [Lucid] (sparc-sun-solaris2.8)
of Tue Nov 29 2005 on dspsparc119"

Error:

Invalid or undefined bitmap

Can sombody tell me which format is accepted by gnu-emacs or am I
missing something?

Vinay