Re: Wrong type argument: integerp, nil

From: kevin bailey
Subject: Re: Wrong type argument: integerp, nil
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 19:29:57 +0000

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> kevin bailey <kbailey@freewayprojects.com> writes:
>
>> i'm editing files over FTP using standard debian sarge emacs21 on the
>> console and i keep getting the system bell beeping and a message
>> appearing saying
>>
>> Wrong type argument: integerp, nil
>>
>> messages on google groups all relate to email reading which i am not
>> using emacs for.
>>
>> any pointers?
>
> M-x set-variable RET debug-on-error RET t RET
>
> Then do whatever you do to get the error again, and show us the
> *Backtrace* buffer contents.

thanks,

the output just shoved on to the screen is:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument integerp nil)
  set-file-modes("/tmp/#edit.php#" nil)
  tramp-set-auto-save-file-modes()
  run-hooks(auto-save-hook)

so i take it that the ftp user i have logged in as is not allowed to write
to /tmp.  i wonder of this is trying to save it on the remote server.

what i need to do now is find out how to set the autosave function to save
to the local machine.

thanks for your help - it'll help me track down further problems,

kev