narrow twice, widen once

From: Albert Reiner
Subject: narrow twice, widen once
Date: 06 Dec 2005 15:55:21 +0100

In some buffer B, I was working on the narrowed selection B/1 when it
occurred to me that I had to operate on an even smaller part of that
narrowed buffer, say B/1/2.  So I marked that region and called
narrow-to-region again.  Having finished those edits, I called widen
and expected to be back to the previous state of narrowing, i.e., B/1.
Instead I ended up with all narrowing undone, i.e., with the full B.

Is there some simple way of making narrowing / widening work as I
expected, viz., that narrowing twice and widening once leaves me with
a narrowed buffer?  I haven't found anything in info or apropos.

Thanks in advance,

Albert.